Tac West Quesnel
Hi Chic Cutting Lounge
Black Angus Mechanical
James & Sons Electric
Quesnel River Pulp
In 1955 a small group of friends held an organizational meeting and the Quesnel Figure Skating Club was born. Recognized as Founding members of the new club were Dorothy Cappan, Helen Stevens, and Evelyn Olsen. Classes were held under the watchful eye of the volunteer instructor Mrs. Francis Floen. The new figure skaters could be found bundled up and practising at the Community Centre, a natural ice rink, which was situated by the river on Front Street, where the hospital is now. That first skating season on the outdoor rink lasted only 10 weeks due to an early spring.
Over the next 5 years the whole community participated in various fund raising projects targeted toward building a covered arena with artificial ice. Volunteer labor and donated materials contributed by both townspeople and those living in the outlying rural areas resulted in a modern skating arena which was officially opened on Feb 16, 1960. That original building is still being used today as one of Quesnel's Twin Arenas.
As the artificial ice now guaranteed a regular skating season, the young club applied for and was granted membership in the Canadian Figure Skating Association – Oct 29, 1960.
. . . Read More
For 55 years the Quesnel Figure Skating club has seen thousands of skaters learn to skate, compete and accomplish their goals and dreams. The club is home to many elite athletes who have gone on to amazing careers with Disney on Ice, competing at National levels and coaching at many different levels.
We are proud of our all of skaters, whatever level, and we hope to continue to teach the children in our community the valuable skill of skating.
The Quesnel Twin Arenas
Located at 500 Barlow Ave, Quesnel, BC